Selecting a Career Coach
Selecting the appropriate coach means finding one who best fits a candidate. While personalities may vary, an effective professional should have the following qualifications:
- Industry experience and exposure to senior staff issues and concerns
- Graduate level education in business management or the behavioral sciences
- Exposure and/or certification in a variety of assessment tools (and the ability to give feedback)
- Five-plus years of corporate coaching
- Broad exposure and expertise in organizational change
When the going gets tough, the tough should use executive development to help meet goals, rather than eliminate the opportunity. A coach can reinforce necessary skills for both the existing and new personnel required to move the organization forward, and the coaching engagement is directly related to helping leaders move forward and manage successfully in tough times.